I’m back in Australia now after attending SAS Global Forum 2013 in San Francisco last week. As always it was a fantastic conference where I got to meet lots of other enthusiastic SAS users, see some great papers about SAS software (though I never seem to see as many papers as I originally planned), and spend lots of time in the demo hall. The demo hall is one of my favourite places. You can talk to SAS developers and product managers about what’s coming in the next major release of SAS (9.4). The demo hall is also where Metacoda (my company) had a SAS Alliance Member sponsor stand and got to show our latest Metacoda products. Meeting our customers from the other side of the globe is always a highlight of the conference for me.
These are some of my favourite papers from the conference. As you will see from the list, I tend to focus on papers relating to SAS platform administration, SAS metadata, SAS metadata security and integration/applications development.
- Hardening a SAS® Installation on a multi tier installation on Linux
Jan Bigalke (Allianz Managed Operations & Services SE)
SAS Global Forum 2013 Paper 481-2013
- PDF available from http://support.sas.com/resources/papers/proceedings13/481-2013.pdf
- Kerberos and SAS® 9.4: A Three-Headed Solution for Authentication
Stuart J Rogers (SAS Institute Inc., Cary, NC)
SAS Global Forum 2013 Paper 476-2013
- PDF available from http://support.sas.com/resources/papers/proceedings13/476-2013.pdf
- What SAS® Administrators Should Know About Security and SAS® Enterprise Guide®
Casey Smith (SAS)
SAS Global Forum 2013 Paper 420-2013
- PDF available from http://support.sas.com/resources/papers/proceedings13/420-2013.pdf [Currently abstract only. Casey said it will be replaced with the full paper soon.]
- Getting Started with SAS® Visual Analytics Administration and Deployment
Meera Venkataramani (SAS) & Gary Mehler (SAS)
SAS Global Forum 2013 Paper 515-2013
- PDF available from http://support.sas.com/resources/papers/proceedings13/515-2013.pdf [Currently abstract only.]
- SAS® 9.3 Administration Guilty Pleasures: A Few of My Favorite Things
Diane Hatcher (SAS Institute Inc., Cary, NC)
SAS Global Forum 2013 Paper 464-2013
- PDF available from http://support.sas.com/resources/papers/proceedings13/464-2013.pdf
- Monitoring 101: New Features in SAS 9.4 for Monitoring Your SAS Intelligence Platform
Amy Peters, Bob Bonham & Zhiyong Li (SAS Institute Inc., Cary, NC)
SAS Global Forum 2013 Paper 463-2013
- PDF available from http://support.sas.com/resources/papers/proceedings13/463-2013.pdf
- Create Your Own Client Apps Using SAS® Integration Technologies
Chris Hemedinger (SAS Institute Inc., Cary, NC)
SAS Global Forum 2013 Paper 003-2013
- PDF available from http://support.sas.com/resources/papers/proceedings13/003-2013.pdf
- Implementing metadata-driven reports with SAS® Stored Processes
Toby Hill (Charles Marcus Group Services, London, UK)
SAS Global Forum 2013 Paper 293-2013
- PDF available from http://support.sas.com/resources/papers/proceedings13/293-2013.pdf
The list above is just a handful of my favourites, but there are many other great papers available for download from the SAS Global Forum 2013 Online Proceedings, as well as a few livestreamed ones you can watch. I encourage you to check them out.
Thanks to all the authors for taking the time to prepare, present, publish and share these papers with the SAS community.
If I’ve missed any other good SASGF13 admin/metadata/dev papers, please leave a comment and let me know.